The Sweet Taste of Motivation

Yesterday, I had the sweetest gig at THS: judging the “Cupcake Wars” in Dawn Ayers’ culinary class. Every time Dawn calls for judges–I answer. The first reason is because I love to eat, and Mrs. Ayers always pays us in food–tasty food! The second reason is because I love her students’ work ethic. A classroom full of enthusiastic practitioners–of any craft–is like teacher catnip to me: it’s mildly euphoric. Until the last second, Mrs. Ayers’ students behaved like well-drilled teams; with frantic, yet methodical precision they rushed about meeting their deadline, laying rows of beautiful cupcakes before their appreciative judges.

Sitting at my table, judiciously scarfing the products of their slavish devotion, and filling out my official forms, I realized that it was now I who was being watched. These kids were hungry for my feedback. It was a situation that led me to reflect upon the nature of motivation: what truly motivated these students?

Was winning their only goal? Obviously, they cared a lot about their creations, and they took this competition seriously, but was that solely because they wanted to win? Winning cannot explain the extraordinary pains that each group took to meet and exceed all of the criteria on my grade sheet, nor their impressive finishing touches: edible decorations, lemon and lemon candy wedges, straws, and paper umbrellas. Simply put: these kids were “into” making cupcakes.

Anyone who has ever entered a race knows that the odds are favorable that we will lose, but most of us strive on regardless. We learn the rules. We play the game. We perform. We do our personal best. In my first and only 5K, for instance, I signed up knowing that I had zero chance of winning, yet I ran all the way, and I had fun competing against my friends. Nothing motivates quite like being placed in front of a live audience, on a scheduled date. Like exercise, I usually try to avoid public embarrassment, but sometimes it’s the only way to grow. Just like a race–not every cupcake can win the “Cupcake War,” but every baker can have a good time making them, eating them, and sharing their passion with others.

Although I’m not a culinary arts teacher, I believe that I have a lot to learn from Mrs. Ayers’ class, specifically that is tapping into the power of motivation. I’d like to challenge you to think about the following: What are your students passionate about? What motivates them? How can they demonstrate their knowledge and skills with others?

Teacher Author/Blogger:

Jason McGee @jphillipmcgee  History/Economics Teacher, Turner High School

2 thoughts on “The Sweet Taste of Motivation

1. Hi Jason. I love your post! Great job. I have done a little blogging and know how difficult it can be. Your post is fun, interesting and informative. I wish I could sign up to judge the cooking class efforts with you! The class sounds amazing! I think having this online for the rest of the world to enjoy is fabulous. Give the kids a big high five from me – cupcake wars would be an amazing class project. It’s easy to see that all the kids had fun, worked hard and enjoyed the experience. Thanks for sharing great information about your school and students.😄